2014 Laurie Contest
The Early Entry Fee (December 18, 2013 – January 15, 2014) is $25.00.
The Entry Fee after January 15, 2014 is $30.00.
The Top Prize in each category is a $50.00 gift card.
Entry, Deadline and Format Guidelines
- The entry form and first seventeen pages (including short blurb – see example below) on or before the contest deadline, February 18, 2014.
- The entry fee must be paid through the designated PayPal account (link provided below) prior to emailing the entry. Entry form must contain the Paypal Unique transaction I.D. as proof of payment. Entries without a Paypal Unique transaction I.D. may be disqualified. The entry itself should be saved as an RTF file.
- The entered manuscript shall be formatted as follows:
–one inch margins all around
–title, category, and target line (if applicable) in the upper left-hand corner
–page numbers in the upper right-hand corner in the form of a header
–Font face should be a clear, crisp font such as Times New Roman or Dark Courier or Courier New
–Font size should not be smaller than 12 pt.
Please see example below.
The Laurie includes the following categories:
- No entrant name, either real or pseudonym, should appear on the entry. This could result in disqualification and forfeiture of the entry fee. The entrant name will be on the entry form.
- The full and complete entry and registration fee (paid through PayPal) must be received by February 18, 2014. Entries received after this date will not be accepted.
LAURIE JUDGE INFORMATION:
First Round Judges: Published authors or authors who have completed judge’s training.
Final Round Judges: The top three entries in each category will go on to the final round to be judged by editors at the following houses:
Contemporary (ST, series) (tba)
Historical (incl Regency) (tba)
Young Adult (All subgenres) (tba)
Inspirational (All subgenres) (tba)
Romantic Suspense (ST, series) (tba)
Paranormal (All subgenres) (tba)
The winner in each category will receive a $50.00 gift card and a certificate. Runners up will receive a certificate.
Contest Rules & Conditions
- Writers who are not members of RWA are eligible to enter, as are previously published authors who have not had a published romance in the past three years. No entrant may be contracted in novel-length romantic fiction 40,000 words or more at the time of the contest deadline
- Entries will be judged according to the category in which they are entered. It is the entrant’s responsibility to choose the most appropriate category. SMRW will not be responsible for entries targeted to the incorrect category.
- All submissions must be submitted electronically.
- Multiple entries may be entered in the contest. However, each submission must be accompanied by separate entry fee and entry form, and must be entered in a separate e-mail.
- Registration fee must be received through PayPal by February 18, 2014. Entry form containing the Paypal Unique Transaction I.D., title page, and manuscript must be received via email by the category coordinator by February 18, 2014. SMRW will not be responsible for misdirected emails.
- By signing the entry form, entrant verifies full understanding that the judging is subjective and that they may receive critiques with which they do not agree. Entrants agree to accept and abide by the decision of the judges. Category coordinators will determine finalists based upon scores and ranking.
- Final round judges will be acquiring editors or agents.
Entrants will hold SMRW, its members, officers and the judges of this contest harmless and hereby release them from any liability, which may arise from this contest. By signing the entry form, entrants specifically waives any right they may have to bring suit against SMRW, its members, officers, representatives or judges.